South American Cichlid Facts:
|average adult size:||4-12 inches long depending|
|average life span:||5-8 years|
|minimum aquarium size:||20+ gallons|
A well-balanced Cichlid diet consists of:
- Food may be dried, pelleted, frozen or live.
- Avoid exclusive food which is not nutritionally complete.
Things to remember when feeding your Cichlid:
- Feed small amounts 1-3 times daily, no more than fish will eat in 3-5 minutes.
- Thaw frozen foods if you choose to feed frozen.
- Keep in an appropriate size aquarium; provide plants for hiding, various species may prefer sparse or thick vegetation.
- Stable water quality, water temperature, and pH levels are critical to the health of the aquatic life. If you are unsure of your water quality or pH levels, Home Aquatics offers water testing.
- South American cichlids are attractive, active, are generally quite durable fish. They are found in a range of sizes and with some very beautiful coloration.
- South American Cichlids can be grouped into Large American Cichlids, Dwarf American Cichlids, and other types of cichlids like the Angelfish, discus, and hybrids.
Daily: Check filter, water temperature and other equipment.
Weekly: Check water quality at least once a week.
Monthly: Change 10-25% of the total volume of water every 2-4 weeks, or as needed.
Introduce new inhabitants to the aquarium gradually.
are an aggressive species of fish and will eat most fish and other
tankmates that are smaller than it. It is best to keep Cichlids among
their own kind, however they may be matched with other fish of the same
size or larger.
Signs of a Healthy Fish
- Clear eyes
- Healthy appetite
- Bright, even coloring
- Clean in appearance
Avoid overcrowded conditions; they are a major cause of stress and disease. Maintain good water quality with regular water changes and adequate filtration.
- loss of color or appetite
- spots or fungus on body or mouth
- erratic swimming
- frayed fins
Common Health Issues
|Health Issue||Symptoms or Causes||Suggested Action|
|Fin rot||Frayed or disintegrating fins; the base of the fins usually reddens.||Improve water quality; consult your aquatic veterinarian for treatment.|
|Ich||White spots appear on fins and body; fish rubs against hard objects or swims awkwardly.|
Quarantine fish immediately; use a commercial ich remedy for at least two weeks
The types of cichlids you plan to keep can also affect the décor. Along with rockwork, aquatic plants help create a natural environment that is suitable with some species. However many types of cichlids will simply uproot them, and some even eat them.
Most of the Central American and South American cichlids are opportunistic carnivores or piscivores (fish eaters) eating insect larvae, worms, and fishes in the wild.. Some also feed on mulluscs, plankton, and plant matter. They can be fed live foods, frozen and prepared foods, algae, flake and pelleted foods. Feed 2 to 3 times a day in smaller amounts instead of a large quantity once a day. This will keep the water quality higher over a longer time. All fish benefit from vitamins and supplements added to their foods.
Assorted South American Cichlids
- Brand: Home Aquatics
- Product Code: Assorted South American Cichlids
- Availability: In Stock